HISTORICAL TIMELINE OF
THE FRANCO-AMERICAN COMMUNITY OF WORCESTER
1755 Eleven Acadian exiles temporarily reside in Worcester.
1820 Census indicates about 20 French-Canadians living in the city.
1826 First Catholic Mass celebrated in Worcester.
1845 Over 600 French-Canadians are estimated to be living in Worcester.
1853 La Societe-Saint-Jean-Baptiste is established in Worcester.
1854 First attempt to establish a Franco-American parish is made.
1869 Notre-Dame-des-Canadiens Parish is founded.
1887 Saint Joseph Chapel at 100 Wall Street is founded to serve Canadians living in
the Oak Hill/Grafton Hill Section of Worcester.
1885 Notre-Dame Cemetery is established.
1888 Marie-Louise Rondeau and Aurelie Roy receive their habits as Franciscan
postulants. The beginnings of the Little Franciscans of Mary (pfm).
1891 Saint Joseph Parish is founded.
1893 Holy Name of Jesus Parish is founded in South Worcester.
1904 Saint Anthony Parish is founded at Kelley Square.
1904 Assumption College is founded by the Augustinians of the Assumption.
1925 William Ducharme is named Pastor of Saint Joseph Parish.
1928 The present Saint Joseph Church building is dedicated.
1975 Saint Anthony Parish is closed.
1992 Saint Joseph Church is closed. Parishioner occupation of the church begins.
1996 Saint Joseph Church is re-opened. The parish is merged with Notre-Dame.
2008 Notre-Dame and Holy Name Parishes are closed. A new merged parish named
“Holy Family Parish” is created, worshipping at Saint Joseph Church.
2015 Renovation and restoration of Saint Joseph Rectory begins. Haitian community
Is welcomed to Holy Family Parish.